Head of Operations, managing and accountable for Fordway’s Service Operations, Service Continuity, Service Desk, Service Security, Service Architecture, Project Management and Technical Consultancy teams. The Operations function collectively delivers all Fordway’s customer services, comprising:
- IT consultancy, including pre-sales
- IT infrastructure transformation and migration projects
- Delivery of Fordway’s Managed Cloud Services (MCS)
- Service management, support, integration and security of MCS and third party/cloud services for our clients
The Operations function is also responsible for managing and supporting Fordway’s internal IT services.
The successful applicant will be a member of Fordway’s Leadership Team. The role currently has 6 direct reports managing approximately 40 staff in the Operations function.
Main Purpose and Duties of the Post
Job title: Head of Operations
Godalming office based, customer and supplier visits expected to be undertaken as needed. Occasional home working acceptable provided it does not impact ability to meet objectives and effective management of Operations function.
7.5 hour working day/37.5 hours per week excluding breaks, flexible within Fordway core hours (8.00am to 6.00pm weekdays). Position is a member of Fordway’s Leadership Team and is required to be a member of Fordway’s Management Escalation Rota.
Reporting to: Chief Operating Officer
Statement of job purpose
Accountable for successful delivery of activities within the Operations function to meet customer and company requirements. To provide leadership, guidance, support and advice for managers and staff within the function. To ensure the function is secure, efficient, effective and satisfies the customer service level agreements in place. To ensure all services provided are continually improved and aligned with best practice. To provide information and input to Fordway’s Senior Management team, meet required KPIs, scorecard metrics and other measurables as defined and agreed with COO. To lead and deliver change within the Operations function to meet business objectives. Provide advice and input on wider Fordway initiatives and strategy.
- Understand Fordway’s strategy and business plans, and use previous experience to contribute to their further development.
- Align staff, lead and prioritise Operations activities to ensure effective execution of the plans.
- Management, mentoring and development of Operations function managers, team leaders and direct reports.
- Accountability for Operations function performance and results.
- Member of Fordway’s Leadership Team.
- To represent Fordway internally and externally to stakeholders.
- To optimise resource allocation and utilisation within Operations Function.
- Accountability for the Project Management Office
- To ensure customer SLAs and satisfaction are consistently achieved and all agreed objectives are met.
- To ensure all agreed business improvement activities and upgrades are delivered in a timely, efficient and non-disruptive fashion.
- Accountability for the security of the MCS environment and services to ensure accreditation to necessary security standards, maintaining ongoing compliance once accreditations are achieved.
- To ensure that 24 x 7 support of MCS Services is provided and all required maintenance and operations tasks are scheduled and delivered.
- Overall accountability for change within MCS environment.
- Operations function reporting within Fordway and externally to clients.
- Accountable for staff development and learning within the Operations function.
- Setting team and staff objectives in line with agreed strategy, measure and report performance against them.
- To ensure effective cross team working within the Operations function.
- To ensure adherence to corporate governance and statutory requirements and that all activities are legal and ethical.
- Responsibility for the Operations budget and adherence to it when agreed and implemented
Level of responsibility
Member of Fordway SMT; SFIA Level 7
Autonomy: Makes decisions critical to organisational success. Inspires the organisation, and influences developments within the industry at the highest levels. Advances the knowledge and/or exploitation of technology within one or more organisations. Develops long-term strategic relationships with customers, partners, industry leaders and government.
Complexity: Has a full range of strategic management and leadership skills. Understands, explains and presents complex ideas to audiences at all levels in a persuasive and convincing manner. Has a broad and deep business knowledge, including the activities and practices of other organisations. Communicates the potential impact of emerging practices and technologies on organisations and individuals and assesses the risks of using or not using such practices and technologies. Assesses the impact of legislation, and actively promotes compliance. Ensures that the organisation develops and mobilises the full range of required digital skills and capabilities.
Business skills: Leads on the formulation and implementation of strategy. Applies the highest level of leadership skills. Has a deep understanding of the industry and the implications of emerging technologies for the wider business environment.
Influence: At the highest organisational level, has authority over all aspects of a significant area of work, including policy formation and application. Is fully accountable for actions taken and decisions made, both by self and others to whom responsibilities have been assigned.
ITIL v3 Foundation or higher
PRINCE2 Foundation or higher
Relevant degree from a recognised university
Technical, architectural or security qualifications from relevant vendors
CMI qualified Level 5 or higher, or comparable management training certification from a recognised body or provider
At least 10 years working experience in IT industry, of which at least 3 years have been in a UK based operational management role with staff development and budget responsibility.
Ability to understand and explain technical concepts.
Understanding of ISO quality standards.
Report generation and statistical analysis.
Relevant experience in a commercial IT Solutions provider, Cloud or Managed Services environment.
Experience of working for or with public sector and not for profit organisations.
Skills & Abilities
Ability to relate to members of staff at all levels.
Technical background with ability to understand, explain and contribute to resolution of complex IT issues.
Excellent interpersonal, mentoring and advisory skills.
Proven communication, documentation and presentation skills.
Direct reports 6
It is a requirement of employment with Fordway that employees pass a security screening to Baseline Personnel Security Standard. The successful applicant is likely to be required to undergo SC clearance if they do not already hold this.
Policies, Procedures and Quality Standards
All employees will be expected to become familiar with and adhere to all company policies and procedures including the Health and Safety Policy.
All employees will be expected to support company quality standards including, but not limited to, the following:
- ISO 9001
- ISO 14001
- ISO 20000
- ISO 27001
- Cyber Essentials PLUS
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.